May 06, 2011

BSNL 3G Datacard Review

As my job required me to login from home (WFH) to the office network, I was looking out for a fastest  yet affordable Internet connection. My previous Internet was an old Broadband over the telephone connection which served my purpose for general browsing, but now I wanted something where I can connect while I am on the move. After researching thoroughly on the Internet I zeroed in on BSNL 3G. I had other options like MTS, Tata Photon, Tata Docomo 3G, Airtel 3G etc but BSNL was the best VFM.

My Dad is an ex BSNL employee and he was kind enough to get one for me when he had some work at the BSNL office. When I went home I saw a TERACOM LW273 Datacard Modem and a BSNL 3G simcard Lying on my Ham Radio shack.


Opened the datacard pack and found a shiny cute little datacard modem which looks like a pendrive, pack contained only the datacard modem and small handy instruction sheet. Installing the Datacard modem was very simple, as per the instruction I just plugged in to the USB slot ran the setup.exe file. All the necessary drivers and a program called Bsnl 3G got installed on my laptop. All necessary connections were created automatically and on the Datacard modem the Red colour LED was flashing.  Every thing was set and tried connecting to the Internet but it refused to connect, although the signal strength was showing 4 bars. The connection status was showing Red in the Bsnl 3G interface program, after a bit of googling I got to know that if the new SIM card is not activated we get Red status and Red LED will be flashing, thus ended my attempts to connecting to the Internet using my new 3G datacard on that night.





Next day morning woke up bit early due to a incoming call from an Ham friend, Since I was already disturbed from my slumber I dragged myself to my laptop to see my luck. Booted my laptop and connected the 3G Datacard. I was thinking of contacting the Dreaded BSNL Helpdesk which is known for pathetic service, but to my luck as soon a I connected the Datacard the LED turned RED to GREEN. Voila the Sim card has been activated, the connection was verified and authenticated. I selected the Internet option and clicked on the connect button for the first time it did not connect but for the second it got connected.
I wanted to feel the speed of the Internet so the sure or my way of testing was playing a video from Youtube.
Just logged on to my FB profile and played a video which was posted by one of my friend. Wow it was superfast, there was no buffering and no stopping of the video in between to buffer, Was able to feel the speed. Wanted see how much speed I am getting so I did a speed test to get some quantifiable numbers.
Below find results.




The first test result I Got.

1st Attempt
PING: 353ms
Download Speed: 0.35 Mbps (358 Kbps)
Upload Speed : 0.06 Mbps (61 Kbps)

2nd Attempt
PING : 356ms
Download Speed: 0.80 Mbps (819 Kbps)
Upload Speed : 0.09 Mbps (92 Kbps)

This average comes up
Download speed : 588 Kbps
Upload Speed : 76 Kbps

The above average speed is in par although it is no where near to 3.6 Mbps for downloads as promised by BSNL. So keep visiting my blog for further updates as I keep using this connection. Your comments and discussions are welcome.

Update on 25\6\2012 : I have stopped using BSNL 3G Datacard as this turned out to be very very expensive option regular browsing for a month resulted in wooping Rs 7000 bill. I do not recommend any of my blog readers to use BSNL 3G.

Cheers
NEO

1 comment: